It's a jelly-like substance from algae that is odourless and tasteless. It needs to be placed in boiling liquid until dissolved to create its gelatinous texture.
We've used it before to make cheese but this is our 1st time making fruit gummies with our own natural flavours.
Strawberry Banana, Passionfruit Blueberry & Apple Cinnamon
The texture is different than store bought gummies made with gelatin.
- Blend together the fruit, apple juice or water, and 1 Tbsp. of maple syrup (if using apple juice) or 2-3 Tbsp. if using water, together until smooth.
- Place into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the agar powder and reduce to a simmer for 2 minutes. The agar should be completely dissolved by now. Add the lemon juice and mix. Add more maple syrup if needed at this point.
- Pour into desired molds and refrigerate until sets (approximately 30 minutes). If you do not have any molds, simply line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper and pour the mix into the pan. Allow to set, remove from the pan and slice into small rectangles.
- Keep chilled in the fridge for up to 1 week in an airtight container.
✨ Kim & Shane gave these 2 thumbs up whilst Shannon gave these 1 thumb down due to texture, not flavour.
| || |
inspired by Fork & Beans
A virtually colourless and tasteless water-soluble protein prepared from collagen and used in food preparation as the basis of jellies, in photographic processes, and in glue.