Store in the freezer.
Leave to soften slightly for a couple of minutes before eating.
DO NOT be tempted to omit the sugar.
It is there to stop the bars freezing so hard and to give a slight hint of caramel in the flavour.
- 6 medium bananas , NOT frozen or previously frozen bananas
- 380g / 1½ cups peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, DO NOT reduce this amount
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 350g | 2 cups chocolate chips
- 8 tablespoons coconut oil, if you prefer no coconut flavour use refined coconut oil (DO NOT be tempted to omit the coconut oil. Coating the ice cream bars does not work well without it)
- Line an 8 x 8" pan (or something similar) with baking parchment
- Peel and break up the bananas into chunks and add them to the bowl of a food processor r blender.
- Add the peanut butter, coconut sugar and salt and blend until completely smooth. You might need to scrape the bowl down half way through.
- Pour the mixture into the lined pan. Gently straighten the baking parchment so there aren't any big creases around the edges and so that it wont get stuck in the top of the mixture. Place in the freezer, preferably overnight or until solid.
- Place a baking sheet into the freezer to chill
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together over a double broiler or in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Then allow to cool completely to room temperature, stirring occasionally. It MUST be cool. (DO NOT be tempted to omit the coconut oil. Coating the ice cream bars does not work well without it.)
- While the chocolate mixture is melting or cooling, remove the pan from the freezer and turn out the frozen mixture. Cut around the edges to tidy it up a bit, then cut the square into 14 bars, or into smaller chunks if you prefer. Return to the freezer to firm up again while the chocolate cools. They must be completely frozen before you start coating in the chocolate.
- When the chocolate is at room temperature, remove the bars and the chilled baking sheet from the freezer. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper then place each bar into the chocolate. Use a spoon to spoon over the chocolate so it gets completely covered. Lift the bar out with 2 forks (as per my video), letting them drip a bit into the bowl as you lift them, then place them on the chilled baking sheet. Repeat until they are all coated then return the bars to the freezer to firm up.