- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons tapioca starch (also called tapioca flour)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add the cashews to a small pot and with water. Bring to a boil for 10 to 15 minutes until they are softened. This will make them easier to blend *
- Drain and rinse the cashews and add them along with the 1 cup of water and all the remaining ingredients to a blender. Blend until completely smooth. It will be very watery.
- Pour into a small sauce pan over medium-high heat, and continually stir as it cooks. As you stir it will start forming clumps, and then all of a sudden it will become a cheesy gooey mass of yumminess. This takes about 5 minutes. Continue to cook and stir for an additional minute to make sure it has firmed up completely. Serve hot. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Inspired by Vedged Out. Author: Sam Turnbull • It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken
* No need to boil if you soak your nuts for a few hours
or the night before.
* Perfect anywhere you like you cheese to be;
pizza, nachos, dips, sandwiches.
Sprinkle on some nutritional yeast for a quick cheesy flavour!
Have you made homemade vegan cheese before?
If so, what's your favourite?