This recipe is a healthy cinnamon roll alternative!
They're made with sweet potatoes & dates.
Get creative & try new flavours.
This batch we've added thinly sliced apples
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake at 400ºF for 30 to 40 minutes until completely soft. Once cool enough to handle, remove skins and puree flesh in a food processor until completely smooth. Measure 1 cup puree. (Any leftover puree can be frozen for future use)
- Sprinkle yeast into warm water in a small bowl and set aside. Combine flours in a medium bowl and whisk together. Place sweet potato puree, vegan butter, maple syrup, salt, and yeast mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix until combined, scraping and stirring with a rubber spatula if necessary. With mixer running on low speed (2), add 2 cups flour and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Add additional flour, a little at a time, until dough is not sticky to the touch and forms a single ball and releases from sides of bowl. Continue to mix for another 2 minutes, then transfer dough to a medium bowl coated with nonstick cooking spray, and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot to rise for 1 hour, until dough has doubled in bulk.
- While dough is rising, make the cinnamon filling. Place dates, vegan butter, 2 tablespoons hot water, and cinnamon in a food processor and process on high until smooth. Add additional water if necessary to get a spreadable consistency.
- Remove dough from bowl and roll out on parchment or a floured surface to a rectangle approximately 16x6 inches. Spread cinnamon filling in an even layer, all the way to the edges, and roll up dough lengthwise to form a 16-inch roll. Cut dough in half, then quarters, then each quarter into thirds, for a total of 12 slices. Coat a muffin tin in nonstick cooking spray, and place one spiral into each cup. Place in a warm spot to rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Once rolls have risen, bake for 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
- While the rolls cook, make the maple glaze in a small bowl: whisk together arrowroot, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Allow rolls to cool to the touch, and drizzle with maple glaze. Enjoy!
Don't have a muffin tin? No problem.
inspired by Pop Sugar Fitness
Kim dances because of Shannon.
| || |
Avoid S.H.A.C.K - Stroke, HeartAttack, Arthritis, Cancer & KidneyDiseases.to a Health